Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tortillas!

My friend Hailee and I both homeschool our boys, so we try and come up with some fun Life Skills to teach them. (That is one of the categories that we are required to teach) We thought it would be fun to make tortillas! I called my grandmother, who has been making tortillas for about 70 years or so, and asked her for a receipe and hints for making them. She gladly shared her knowledge of tortilla making and so it was pretty easy. The kids had fun. It was like rolling out playdough and then getting to eat it! They each had their own rolling pins which made it easy for everyone to participate at the same time.
Here is Addison trying to get a quick bite of raw tortilla....don't worry, I stopped her in time!
Hailee and I ended up rolling out most of them. The kids each did two and then went outside to play. I think they turned out pretty good, just a little too stiff from too much flour. Next time I will try them with whole wheat flour so that they are healthier!

Garret and Carissa are showing their hard work of rolling out the dough while they waited for their turn to cook their tortilla. These pictures are pretty bad quality because I grabbed my camera and snapped a few pictures without looking at the results so I didn't realize that it was on a completely different setting then it should be!